11.16.2015

5 GIFTS OF THANKFULNESS

Mere religion is not attractive to God or anyone else who has tasted the goodness of the Lord.
Mere religion is not attractive to God. Religion doesn't satisfy anyone who has tasted the goodness of the Lord. God's intention has always been to relate to us personally. Recently, I have noticed that thankfulness seems to be one of the simplest yet important factors of entering into his presence.

In the Psalms, David continually calls us to "Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good and his steadfast love endures forever" (Psalm 107:1). This frequent call to thankfulness gives an insight to David's heart. No wonder God cherished his heart the way he did.



The Apostle Paul instructs us to "be thankful" (Colossians 3:15), "always" (Ephesians 5:20), "in all circumstances" (1 Thessalonians 5:18), and "in everything" (Philippians 4:6). It is important to realize that Paul is using imperative language in these verses. That means these are not suggestions,  but these are commands.

He is telling us to order the attitude of our hearts. You see, thankfulness is not only an emotion, it is also an action. That is why David instructs us to "Give thanks" verbally. Sometimes, the emotion follows the action. Always remember, God never commands us to do anything that he is not willing to give us the grace to accomplish.

Thankfulness is a means of receiving more of God's grace in our lives. In my recent reflection on my practice of thankfulness I have discovered five gifts that we receive from this means of grace.

4 Gifts of the Practice of Thankfulness 

1. Powerful Perspective 

Thankfulness makes me aware of God's goodness and steadfast love towards me. When I neglect thankfulness, my problems seem overwhelming. When I am thankful, problems seem small compared to Gods greatness. "With God all things are possible" (Matthew 19:26).

2. Powerful Presence

Thankfulness brings me into a greater awareness of God's presence. It can bring me out of an apathetic attitude into a thriving experience of praise and prayer instantly. Verbally expressing thanks to God is the simplest way I know to enter into his Presence.

3. Powerful Faith

Thankfulness fans my faith into flame (2Timothy 1:6). By acknowledging God's goodness and steadfast love in my life, my hope and conviction of his goodness and love increases.

4. Powerful Prayer 

Thankfulness transforms my prayer life. With my perspective enlarged, awareness of his presence opened and faith increased, my prayer life becomes bold and courageous on behalf of others around me.

5. Powerful Praise


Thankfulness naturally leads to praise. By praising God I am living holistically and dynamically in the purpose of God. The Lord strengthens us for spiritual warfare through praise.

How About You?

Now I challenge you to intentionally practice thankfulness. Decide a time that will set aside daily to reflect upon Gods goodness and offer verbal thanks to him. Commit to a time frame of at least two weeks. Begin your prayer time by giving thanks to God for the specific ways you see his goodness and love in your life. I promise that it will transform your relationship with God.

Also Read: What Comes After Thankfulness? and Practicing the Power of Praise!

No comments:

Post a Comment