2.10.2017

WHAT CAN WE LEARN ABOUT DYING FROM JESUS?

How do I die? Learn from Jesus how to die

Imagine visiting someone who is facing their last days on earth, and being asked, “How do I die?” Well, this actually happened to Dr. Daryl Bodie, while he was making a pastoral visit to a woman in the hospital. It just so happened that he had been studying the seven final statements that Jesus made from the cross. She got out a pad of paper as he gave her the following statements: 



1. The Word of Forgiveness


“Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do” (Lk 23:34).

Who do you need to forgive? Will you let them know? Is reconciliation possible?


2. The Word of Salvation


“Truly, I say to you, today you will be with me in Paradise (Lk 23:43).

Who in your life do you need to talk to about salvation?


3. The Word of Affection


“Woman, behold your son!…behold, your mother (Jn 19:26-27)

For whom do you need to make provisions as you depart?


4. The Word of Anguish


“My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? (Mt 27:46).

Because Jesus suffered this separation for you, you will never suffer separation from God. You need not be afraid.


5. The Word of Suffering


“I thirst” (Jn 19:28).

As your dying physical needs cry out, take the help offered. (It can help those who offer it to have closure). 

6. The Word of Victory


“It is finished (Jn 19:30).

You can rest in Christ’s finished work on the cross and anticipate the beginning of eternal life with him in heaven.

7. The Word of Contentment


“Father, into your hands I commit my spirit! (Lk 23:46). 

You will enter the hands of a loving heavenly Father who will care for you from now on. What a comforting thought!

When I read these reflections, I had to write them down to reflect upon them for myself and to share with others. I found Dr. Daryl Bodies reflection in The Pastor’s Book: A Comprehensive and Practical Guide to Pastoral Ministry by R. Kent Hughes. (The titles of each of the seven statements are borrowed from, “The Seven Sayings of the Savior on the Cross by A. W.  Pink).  


No comments:

Post a Comment