11.28.2015

WHAT FOLLOWS THANKFULNESS?

What follows thankfulness?
When the seasons turn to fall, I tend to become reflective about life. This year, my reflections have been upon God’s intention to relate to me personally. Am I available to relate to him? Recently, I have noticed that thankfulness seems to be one of the simplest, yet important factors of entering into his presence (“Receiving the Gift of Thankfulness”). For the last few weeks I have challenged myself, my family and faith community to a “Thankfulness Challenge”.

Reflecting on thankfulness has led to the Psalms. While meditating on what David has written about thankfulness, I have discovered an interesting relationship between thanks and praise,


“I will give to the Lord the thanks due to his righteousness,and I will sing praise to the name of the Lord, the Most High” (Psalm 7:17).
“It is good to give thanks to the Lord,to sing praises to your name, O Most High” (Psalm 92:1).
“Enter his gates with thanksgiving,and his courts with praise!Give thanks to him; bless his name!” (Psalm 100:4).
“I will give thanks to the Lord with my whole heart;  I will recount all of your wonderful deeds.  I will be glad and exult in you;  I will sing praise to your name, O Most High” (Psalm 9:1).

Thanksgiving and praise are twins! Where thanksgiving is found, praise follows closely behind. Since giving thanks naturally leads to praise, I have begun to follow suite in my daily practice of thankfulness, and intentionally follow my daily thanksgiving with praise. 

“Every day I will bless you and praise your name forever and ever” (Psalm 145:2). 

My awareness of the presence of God is increasing. My prayer life is soaring, with intercession flowing naturally from my lips, with battlefront proclamations in the Holy Spirit. And now I am becoming convinced that thankfulness AND praise are essential to experiencing the relationship that God intend to have with us.


This Sunday I will be sharing a message, “Practicing the Power of Praise”. Those of you who able to join us will be blessed, those of you who follow my blog, the outline for this message will be posted by Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment